Canal Run News
Registration is now open for the 2013 Portage Health Canal Run
On-line registration for the 2013 Portage Health Canal Run is now open with a new registration partner, Eventbrite.com!
There are three registration windows for racers, who can save more than 30 percent by registering before June 20. The five-mile race is just $20 until June 20, the 10-mile race is $25 and the half marathon is $30. Prices will increase for each race by $5 on June 20, July 13 and for on-site day-before registration.
The Portage Health Canal Run will include a five-mile race, 10-mile race and a half marathon (13.1 miles). There are also walking categories in the 10- and 5-mile races. The Canal Run is also one of the only ones in the region to offer a 10-mile wheelchair race. Register online today.
Posted on 01 Apr 2013 by Canal Run
Half marathon added for 2013 Canal Run
The Portage Health Canal Run is proud to announce the addition of a half marathon for the 38th annual event on July 20, 2013.
“Our race has grown by leaps and bounds over the past five years,” said Angela Luskin, race director and community health coordinator at Portage Health. “We’re continuing to move forward as a race, and we’ve heard from many participants that a half marathon is a positive step for our race.”
The half-marathon course will begin on Koskela Road in Calumet Township, and merge onto M-203 to follow the same course as the other races. The half marathon will be open only to runners in 2013.
Along with the new half marathon, the Canal Run will continue with five- and 10-mile walking and running events. The 10-mile races will begin at McLain State Park and five-mile races at High Point Road. The downtown Hancock finish will once again be in front of the Quincy Green on the 400 block of Quincy Street.
Posted on 27 Mar 2013 by Canal Run
2013 Portage Health Canal Run information
The 2013 Portage Health Canal Run will be held on Saturday, July 20.
Registration will be up on our website soon (follow our Facebook page or Twitter page to get the latest updates about registration). Participants can expect all of the usual things they love about Canal Run, plus one big announcement, which we should have on our website soon!
Many compliments to opusWeb.com, who has continued to be our website sponsor. We expect to have a revamped website up sometime in May. Also, a special thanks to Finlandia University, Citizens Bank and Portage Health for continuing to be major sponsors of the event. We're also proud to say that we'll once again be hosting the pre-race spaghetti dinner in conjunction with the Keweenaw Co-op!
In the meantime, check out photos from the 2012 Canal Run!
Posted on 19 Mar 2013 by Canal Run
Results are in! Congrats to Kilpela, Janeshek and other winners
Saturday's 37th annual Portage Health Canal Run went off without a hitch, with 640 racers registering to race in the big event.
It's the biggest year ever for the Canal Run.
Amy Janeshek was the big winner for the women's 10-mile run, while Jonathan Kilpela was the top male finisher in the 10-mile run.
Full results are available here. Keep checking back to HancockCanalRun.com, our Facebook page and our Twitter page for more information, including free photos from brockit.com.
Posted on 21 Jul 2012 by Canal Run
The weekend is upon us!
We are looking forward to a record number of participants on Saturday!
Here are a few details to keep in mind:
- Bib Pick up will take place tonight from 4-8 p.m. at Finlandia Hall OR Saturday from 6-8 a.m. at the finish line (across from Citizens Bank in downtown Hancock)
- Canal Kids Dash: Tonight during Bib Pick-up and the Pasta Dinner. The new addition will take place near Finlandia Hall on the campus of Finland University. Kids can join in on the racing excitement by participating in a 50- or 100-yard dash or trying their hand at an obstacle course. The races will start at 5:30 p.m. and the obstacle course will be available from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. Prizes for all participants. No need to Pre-register, just show up! The event is free!
- Timing chips must be picked up Saturday from 6-8 a.m. at the Finish Line - chips will not be given out tonight. Special arrangements can be made to pick up your chip at the start of the 10 or 5 mile, but you MUST make arrangements with the staff at bib pick up tonight.
- Registration will be available at Bib Pick up, for those wishing to register last minute. No race day registration accepted.
- Pre-Race Pasta Dinner hosted by the Keewenaw Co-op Natural Foods Market and Deli is tonight from 4 to 8 p.m. at Finlandia Hall, which is right on Finlandia University's campus in downtown Hancock. Tickets are available at the door. $10 for adults, $5 for children and free for children under 6. Want to learn more: Check out this preview video.
- Shuttle service will be provided from the finish line to both start locations. Please arrive at your start point 15 minutes prior to starting time. The busses are not running on an exact schedule, but should be leaving from the finish line in downtown Hancock every 10 minutes starting at 6 a.m. Please arrive early.
- Both 5 miles races will start on High Point Rd. The shuttle will drop participants off at the base of High Point Rd - the race start is about 0.3 miles from that point (this will be a good warm up for your event!). Parking will not be available at the 5 mile location.
- Race start times: 10 mile walk 7:15 a.m., 10 mile run 8:00 a.m., 5 mile walk 8:30 a.m., 5 mile run 8:45 a.m.
- Parking will be available in Downtown Hancock.
- There will be aid/water stations spread throughout the race (2-mile marker, 5-mile marker, 7-mile marker, 9-mile marker, 9.5 mile marker). Each station will have water and Powerade. Each station will also have a certified athletic trainer on hand.
- Please make sure to thank the 65+ volunteers it takes to make this run possible, many will be on hand starting at 6 a.m. Saturday!
- Inside of your race packets will be the t-shirt sized to what you ordered (if you registered prior to 10 a.m. yesterday, if you registered after that, you'll get yours at the race). We will allow size exchanges, please be sure to try your shirt on when you get it. The shirts this year are made from 70 percent bamboo! Learn more about them here.
- Up-to-the minute updates are available on our Facebook page, "Like" us today!
- FREE PHOTOS! Did you know that Brockit, Inc. will be at the race taking awesome photos? An Internet-ready copy of all photos is available courtesy of the Canal Run, and higher resolution copies are available for purchase. We'll post the link to the photos on our website and social networks.
- Tune in and listen to the race LIVE. Do you have friends or family that can't make it to the race, but still want to keep updated? Have them listen to Mix 93.5 FM WKMJ (or online here) for a live broadcast at the Canal Run, including coverage at the start of the 10-mile race and at the finish line.
Happy racing everyone!
Posted on 20 Jul 2012 by Canal Run
Click here to view all news!
We are always working to improve the Canal
Run/Walk. Please email your comments and suggestions